Probate & Estate Planning

Bowie Probate and Estate Planning Lawyers

For knowledgeable assistance with estate planning, probate administration and litigation, come to the Law Office of Walsh, Becker, Moody & Rice. Our estate planning and probate attorneys have many years of experience. They can explain your options and help you decide what will be best for you and your family.

Estate Planning

Every adult should have an estate plan, regardless of the amount of his or her assets. If you die intestate (without a will) the court will divide your assets according to Maryland law. A will allows you to leave assets to the people you choose. You can also name guardians for your children and specify your funeral wishes.

You can create a living trust while you are alive and set it up to continue after you die to manage assets for your beneficiaries. Living trusts can avoid the time and expense of probate if your assets are transferred into the trust before you die. A living trust can also provide financially for you in the event you become incapacitated.

Durable powers of attorney name a person who will manage your finances and property if you are incapacitated. Medical powers of attorney specify who will make medical decisions if you are incapacitated.
Probate Administration and Litigation

If you are an executor, administrator or trustee of an estate, you need a lawyer to help you through probate. The probate process can take several months and involves filing papers with the court, distributing assets, paying the final bills, resolving any claims or objections, and preparing a final accounting of the estate. Your job will be easier with an attorney to guide you through the process.

Probate and estate litigation may be necessary if the estate is challenged. We can handle will contests, trust contests, creditor claims and disputes between heirs. We can also help you with issues such as breach of fiduciary duty, misappropriation of assets and undue influence on the testator.

Call our Bowie probate and estate planning attorneys at 301-262-6000. You may also contact us online.